The pay scale for this position is $14.90 to $22.36.
Current job openings that applications can be submitted for can be found by clicking here.
Salary and Benefits
The Fort Smith Police Department offers an exceptional entry-level salary and benefits package. As an employee's career progresses, step raises and opportunities for advancement come into play. Please take a moment to review the benefits outline below. Again, if you have any questions, please contact the FSPD Recruiting Coordinator.
- 10 Days Paid Vacation after the first year
- 96 Hours Sick Leave per year up to 960 hours
- 11 Paid Holidays per year
- Longevity pay
- Necessary Equipment Furnished
- Tuition Assistance for Continuing Education
- Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance Package
- Employee's Federal Credit Union
- City-provided Retirement Income Plan
This position is responsible for general maintenance and cleaning duties of the Fort Smith Police Department facility and grounds. Duties are to be performed while the police department is in full operation; therefore, the employee must cooperate with other members to minimize inconvenience. Duties are routine, but require some independent judgment as to methods and equipment to be used. The employee may be required to work unusual hours. The employee will plan and arrange work under the general supervision of the Physical Plant Sergeant, referring only unusual situations to the person in that position. Daily work tasks are assigned and monitored by the Lead Building Engineer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Note: All City of Fort Smith positions require the employee to provide good customer service to both internal and external customers, maintain positive and effective working relationships with other City employees, and have regular and reliable attendance that is non-disruptive. Must show cooperation and respect to fellow employees and supervisors at all times.
1. May assist Lead Building Engineer performing general maintenance or minor repairs on building structures and installed essential facility equipment to include HVACR, boilers, cooling tower, makeup air unit, etc., in a timely manner.
2. Perform general maintenance or minor repairs on building structures and installed equipment such as replacing light bulbs, air filters, ceiling tiles, etc.
3. Perform minor plumbing or electrical repairs as needed.
4. Perform minor construction or remodeling, such as interior/exterior painting.
5. Operate equipment necessary to perform essential job functions including automotive, lawn, custodial, and other small equipment as required.
6. Vacuum/shampoo all carpeted areas. Moving and replacing light furniture as needed. (Spot clean as necessary)
7. Clean furniture upholstery as needed.
8. Clean up spills and spot clean soil and finger marks from painted and washable surfaces.
9. Maintain exterior of facility by mowing, trimming shrubbery, and removing weeds from beds and planters. Check the grounds daily for trash and rubbish, disposing of it as appropriate.
10. Assist Lead Building Engineer in performing building maintenance duties as required.
11. Perform all other duties as assigned.
12. Regular attendance and timeliness is required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions provided that these accommodations comply with the City of Fort Smith’s Alternate Duty Policy.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• High School Diploma or GED
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
• Minimum of two years’ experience in general building maintenance and cleaning of large office buildings or other comparable facilities is required.
• Must be proficient in HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and carpentry trades.
• Must be proficient in the use of all construction tools, power tools, and light lawn equipment.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES
Possess a thorough knowledge of various types of equipment and methods necessary to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Knowledge of the occupational hazards of the work and necessary safety precautions is required. The incumbent must have thorough operational knowledge of the use of a personal computer system, as well as various software packages. Organization skills and close attention to details are required to successfully perform this job. Communication skills in both oral and written forms as well as effective social-interpersonal skills to interact with persons in an office setting are also required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit and listen; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions and risk of vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The incumbent must be able to operate various types of power equipment and utilize a wide variety of hand tools.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions provided that those accommodations comply with the City of Fort Smith’s Alternate Duty Policy.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works with toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment within the police department is usually moderate. Outside the police facility, the noise level can be loud.