Salary Range: Entry: $10.55 / Maximum: $14.98
This position reports directly to the Patrol Shift Supervisor. This position is responsible for incoming calls to the Police Information Desk and Central Records for non-emergency
requests from the public via non-emergency numbers. The incumbent obtains information from visitors and callers who may need general information or to file a police report. The
incumbent will enter information into the records management system (RMS) as needed. Performance is rated through direct observation of performance by the Patrol Shift Supervisor.
All information desk and data entry work performed by the Customer Service Assistant is continually recorded and is constantly subject to live monitoring for later review and critique
and may include public disclosure of such work.
For further details contact the Recruiting Coordinator for the Fort Smith Police Department.
- Answers non-emergency calls and enters police reports into the records management system
- Provides assistance to the public at the police information desk, to include filing police reports, fingerprinting, and providing general information
- Communicates with callers to obtain accurate and essential information necessary to file police reports
- Must have a telephone or other means of contact in case of an emergency
- May be asked to temporarily back-fill any position within Central Records
- Processes more than one task at a time
- Must continually demonstrate a high level of mental stability
- Assists officers and other police department personnel as necessary when not occupied with information desk duties
- Performs additional duties as directed
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the
knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High School diploma or GED, and academic knowledge of Arkansas law or criminal procedures is required.
The incumbent must be able to perform all of the duties and functions as defined in the job description for the City of Fort Smith. The incumbent must have excellent
communications skills in both oral and written forms. Organizational skills and close attention to details are required to successfully perform this job. The incumbent
must have thorough operational knowledge of the use of a personal computer system, as well as various software packages.
The incumbent must be able to operate all manner of office machines, including telephones with multiple lines, fax machines, computer printers, photocopiers, and scanners.
The incumbent must be able to deal with the public and possess social-interpersonal skills to interact effectively with others in an office environment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions provided that accommodations comply with the City of Fort Smith's Alternate
Duty Policy. The noise level in the work environment while within the Police Department is usually moderate.