Entry: $11.65 / Maximum: $16.54
The Maintenance Assistant is responsible for general maintenance and cleaning duties of the Fort Smith Police Department Facility and surrounding grounds.
Duties are to be performed while the Police Department is in full operation, and the employee must cooperate with other members so as to minimize inconvenience.
Duties are routine, but require some independent judgment as to methods and equipment to be used. The incumbent may be required to work unusual hours. He will
plan and arrange work under the general supervision of the Training Coordinator, referring only unusual situations to the person in that position.
For further details contact the Recruiting Coordinator for the Fort Smith Police Department.
- Perform general maintenance or minor repairs on building structures and installed essential facility equipment to include HVACR, boilers, cooling tower, makeup air unit, etc. in a timely manner.
- Perform general maintenance or minor repairs on building structures and installed equipment such as such as replacing light bulbs, air filters, ceiling tiles, etc.
- Perform minor plumbing or electrical repairs as needed.
- Perform minor construction or remodeling such as interior/exterior painting.
- Operates equipment necessary to perform essential job functions including automotive, lawn maintenance, custodial and other small equipment as required.
- Vacuum/Shampoo all carpeted areas. Moving and replacing light furniture as needed. (Spot clean as necessary)
- Clean furniture upholstery as needed.
- Clean up spills and spot clean soil and finger marks from painted and washable surfaces.
- Maintains exterior of facility by mowing, trimming shrubbery, and removing weeds from beds and planters. Checks the grounds daily for trash and rubbish, disposing of it as appropriate.
- Reports to the Lead Building Engineer for daily assignments.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Regular attendance is required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of
the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
provided that these accommodations comply with the City of Fort Smith’s Alternate Duty Policy.
High School Diploma or GED is required. A Minimum of two years’ experience in the general maintenance and cleaning of large office buildings or other comparable facilities is preferred.
Possess a thorough knowledge of various types of equipment and methods to be used to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Knowledge of the occupational
hazards of the work and necessary safety precautions is required. The incumbent must have thorough operational knowledge of the use of a personal computer system,
as well as various software packages. Organization skills and close attention to details are required to successfully perform this job. Communication skills in
both oral and written forms, as well as effective social-interpersonal skills as needed to interact with persons in an office setting are also required.
incumbent must possess a valid driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job,
the employee must frequently stand for up to 4 hours with only one 15 minute break. The employee will also frequently walk, talk and hear. Body mobility to
stoop, bend and climb ladders and stairs is also necessary. Manual dexterity to write and the strength to lift, drag and push material is also required.
The incumbent must be able to operate various types of power equipment and utilize a wide variety of hand tools.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions provided that those accommodations comply with
the City of Fort Smith’s Alternate Duty Policy.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works with toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment while within the Police Department is usually moderate. Outside the Police Facility, the noise level can be loud.
The starting salary for a Maintenance Assistant is $11.65 per hour.
- 10 Days Paid Vacation after 1st Year
- 96 Hours Sick Leave per year up to 960 hours
- 11 Paid Holidays per year
- Longevity Pay
- Necessary Equipment Furnished
- Tuition Assistance for Continuing Education
- Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance Package
- Employee’s Federal Credit Union
- City provided Retirement Income Plan